Grupa Azoty is completing another fertilizer project co-financed by the National Center for Research and Development
Consortium Grupa Azoty Puławy SA and Grupa Azoty “Fosfory” Sp. z o. o. is completing four years of work related to the implementation of an innovative project Fri "Development of a technology for the production of potassium thiosulphate with the use of exhaust gases from the sulfuric acid production plant and multi-component liquid fertilizers based on it ". The aim of the project called "P-Thios" was to develop a technology for obtaining a solution of potassium thiosulphate using waste gases containing small amounts of sulfur oxides from the sulfuric acid plant and multi-component fertilizers based on nitrate-urea solution and potassium thiosulphate. The result of the project is a complete production technology, verified on a prototype large-laboratory (pilot) installation, which was built as part of the project.
The activities aimed at developing the technology of potassium thiosulfate solution were divided into two stages. In the first stage, a technology for the production of potassium sulphate (IV) was developed, which was produced by absorption of sulfur dioxide from the installation for the production of sulfuric acid. As a result of the technology used, the emission of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides to the atmosphere was reduced by about 90%, which measurably reduces greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere, improves air quality and is in line with the principles of the circular economy. In the second stage, potassium thiosulphate was produced from potassium sulphate (IV) and sulfur from the Claus desulphurization process. The innovative technology used at this stage allows to obtain a product of very high purity and, most importantly, high stability to UV radiation. The 50% solution of potassium thiosulphate produced in this stage can be used as a stand-alone liquid potassium-sulfur fertilizer, and it can also be used as a raw material for the production of liquid multi-component fertilizers.
As part of the project, in cooperation with the University of Life Sciences in Lublin, agricultural research was carried out, including one-year pot experiments and two-year field experiments with the use of UAN fertilizer with potassium thiosulphate in agricultural and horticultural crops.
The aim of the agricultural research was to evaluate the agricultural efficiency of new nitrogen-potassium-sulfur fertilizer products with a composition adapted to each of the tested plants, compared to pure UAN. Three agricultural plants (winter wheat, winter oilseed rape, corn) and five horticultural plants (sweet pepper, dwarf tomato, beans for dry grain, onion, strawberry) were tested. fertilizer:
· Simultaneous application of nitrogen, potassium and sulfur enables balanced fertilization of plants;
· Macronutrients present in the fertilizer (nitrogen, potassium, sulfur) are in forms that are easily digestible for plants;
· There was an improvement in the condition and health of plants and increased tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses;
· The yield is increased and the quality parameters of plants are improved;
· There is an increase in the efficiency of nitrogen uptake and an improvement in its metabolism in the plant through the combined use of nitrogen, potassium and sulfur;
· The liquid form of the fertilizer increases the availability of macronutrients immediately after application and improves their assimilation by plants (high efficiency of the fertilizer in dry periods),
· The use of fertilizer enables the full mechanization of fertilization and an even distribution of the fertilizing components on the field.
Work is currently underway on the preparation of a patent application for the technology of obtaining potassium thiosulphate. This technology will be implemented in the business activities of Grupa Azoty “Fosfory” Sp. z o. o. as an industrial installation with a planned capacity of 10,000 t / y.
The above project no. POIR.01.02.00-00-0061 / 17 received funding from the National Center for Research and Development under the "INNOCHEM" sector program, Measure 1.2 "Sector R&D programs" of the Intelligent Development Operational Program 2014-2020. The works were carried out by a consortium of entities composed of: Grupa Azoty Zakłady Azotowe "Puławy" SA as the project leader and Grupa Azoty Zakłady Fosforowe Gdańsk Sp. z o. o. as a consortium member.
Published: October 2021